New Delhi: The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) today launched the cashless token sale/smart card recharge facility by using the Bharat Quick Response (QR) Code displayed at the Token Counters & Customer Care Centres of Metro stations. This facility was launched by DMRC’s Managing Director, Dr. Mangu Singh at Rajiv Chowk Metro station in the presence of senior officials.
With this facility, the commuters will now be able to use the Bharat QR Code, which is being provided by HDFC Bank, displayed at the Token Counters/Customer Care Centres through their respective Bank’s App installed in their smartphones. All Bank wallet and savings account holders can make payments using Bharat QR by logging into their Bank App and scanning the QR code available at stations.
Currently, this facility is made available at five Metro stations namely, Rajiv Chowk, Rajendra Place, Seelampur, Pitampura and Nehru Place only. Subsequently, the facility will be introduced in a phased manner at all Metro stations of the Delhi Metro network.
Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Mangu Singh, Managing Director, DMRC said, ‘The DMRC is making all efforts to push the cashless mode of transaction initiated by the Government of India. This new cashless facility is expected to provide the commuters a more convenient and fast access to the Delhi Metro network besides helping in managing the problem of change/coins at the stations.
The Bharat QR Code was recently launched by the Union Government in a bid to promote cashless transactions and this code works with all major banks in India. It is a form of a bar code that uses the bank’s information (merchant name & account number) required for the payment.
Here is procedure for using the Bharat QR Code by the Delhi Metro commuters:-
- Login to your Bank App and select to pay using the QR code option.
- You will then need to scan the QR code displayed at token counter/customer care at the station to get the merchant details (DMRC is merchant in this case)
- Enter the amount (for the desired token value/smart card recharge value) and confirm.
- The transaction will be authenticated using the PIN/OTP details etc. Both the merchant as well as the customers will receive instant notification after the successful transaction.
- If you are using Bharat QR for the first time, you will need to grant the App to access the camera on your phone.
DMRC in its bid to promote cashless transactions had taken many initiatives in recent months. Last month only, the smart card recharge/token sale facility at the TVMs through Credit/Debit cards was also introduced at the Lal Quila Metro station. DMRC had earlier also introduced the facility to recharge Delhi metro smart cards by e-wallet applications.